Image of Army Seal
Image of Navy Seal.
Image of Air Force Seal
Image of Marine Seal
Image of Coast Guard Seal
Image of National Guard Seal


For More Information

As a service member, or spouse or former spouse of one, you have unique child support needs.  All branches of the armed forces offer parenting programs and resources to strengthen military families.  

Please choose from the below list of categories to learn more about the programs and services that are available to military service members:

Recently Activated National Guard or Military Reservists

We recognize that many of our parents and caretakers may be called to active duty in the United States’ military. If you are called to active duty, you are protected under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA), formerly called the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Civil Relief Act. The purpose of the SCRA is to allow United States military personnel to devote their full attention to the defense of our nation by temporarily suspending judicial and administrative civil proceedings that may impact their rights.

Military Protections

Some of the protections you may be entitled to under the SCRA are:

Stay of Proceedings

You may be entitled to place court proceedings on hold for a certain period of time. This is called a “stay” of proceedings. You must show that you cannot attend the proceeding due to military service.

Stay of Execution (Enforcement) of a Judgment

A service member can request that the court stop the execution of a judgment, attachment, or garnishment order. You must show the court that the military service prevented you from complying with the judgment and that the support case began prior to, during, or within 90 days after your military service.

Expedited Modification of Support

If you have a child support obligation, or are receiving child support payments for a child in your custody, and are being deployed out-of-state, you have an opportunity to request a review and possible modification of the child support order before you deploy. For more information, see Notice to All Custodial Parties and Non-Custodial Parents Deploying Out of State.

Interest Reduction

You may request that the interest rate being charged on past due child support  that accrued prior to your deployment be reduced to 6% for the duration of your deployment. To be eligible for a reduction in the interest rate, you must prove that your activation to military service has a “material effect” on your ability to pay the usual, state-mandated interest rate of 10%. Generally, this would be the case if you were earning more before your deployment.

To request a reduction in the interest rate please submit a Notice to All Custodial Parties and Non-Custodial Parents Deploying Out of State to our office. You must also provide documentation of active duty status and provide the date when active duty began.

Military Qualified Debt Reduction Program (Military COAP)

The Military COAP Program allows for qualifying debt owed to the government to be reduced in certain cases. Eligibility is limited to a Reservist or a member of the National Guard whose income decreased due to activation to military service. Contact your local agency for more information.

For Assistance

For assistance or to find out more about your rights, you may contact the Judge Advocate General’s Corps Legal Assistance Officer or the Family Law Facilitator in the county where you are stationed or living. For more information, see the Office of Child Support Enforcement’s Handbook for Military Families. 

Click on button to get online case information.
Click on button to calculate child support.
Click on button to make a payment.
Click on button to apply for services.
Click on button to access frequently asked questions.