Contact Us

I do not have a case with Child Support Services 

If you are thinking about child support and need to get a court order, or if you have a court order already that needs to be enforced, you have several options to contact us:


  • This is an automated phone service
  • You can choose from options that will direct you to an employee at a call center or a caseworker at your local county
  • Various language options are available
  • Depending on call loads, this can sometimes be a time-consuming option

Local Offices 

  • You can always walk into your local child support agency and ask to speak to a caseworker
  • Find your local agency here

Frequently Asked Questions 

  • There is a page on this website that answers some of the most commonly asked questions
  • Visit it here

Family Law Facilitators 

  • Every county has a Family Law Facilitator that can assist with legal matters at low or no cost
  • Find yours here, on your county’s website, or in or near the county courthouse

Outside the United States

  •  In many cases, child support orders can be obtained and enforced internationally
  • Call 1-408-273-0073 for more information if you or the other parent lives outside the U.S.

I have a case with Child Support Services 

Customer Connect: 1-866-901-3212

This is an automated phone service that offers several options, including:

  • Making a payment over the phone
  • Using the Customer Connect self-service portal
  • Speaking with your caseworker
  • Depending on call loads, this option can be time-consuming

Self-Service Options (Available 24/7):

Customer Connect Online

  • Access Customer Connect, your Self-Service Account Portal
  • Check all your child support case information
  • See your payment history
  • Update your contact information
  • E-Communications – set up an account to email your agency directly and receive notifications and alerts about your case
  • Login requires your Participant ID Number and Personal Identification Number (PIN)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

General Phone Numbers

  • Outside the United States: 1-408-273-0073
  • Hearing Impaired TTY: 1-866-399-4096

Employer Resource Center: 1-888-898-1743

  • Update or verify company information 

State Disbursement Unit (SDU): 1-866-901-3212 (Option 1)

  • Set-up electronic payments
  • Verify payments have been received
  • Set-up Direct Deposit or Electronic Payment Card (EPC)
  • General questions
  • Employer payment options
  • Contacts for resolving employer payment issues

Mailing Address:

     Department of Child Support Services
     P.O. Box 419064
     Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9064

California Child Support Services:  1-866-249-0773

  • Release of hold on driver’s license or professional license
  • Release of hold on passport
  • Tax intercept or bank levy information
  • Administrative review process for private child support cases
  • Parentage Opportunity Program


Click on button to get online case information.
Click on button to calculate child support.
Click on button to make a payment.
Click on button to apply for services.
Click on button to access frequently asked questions.