Changing A Child Support Amount

Banner image of lake and pine tree in Lake County.

At any time, either parent or the child’s legal guardian can ask for a change (called a “modification”) to increase or decrease the amount of court-ordered child support. You can petition the court yourself with the help of your county’s Family Law Facilitator or a private attorney, or your local child support agency can review your case at no charge. 

Please note, if you are not receiving child support services through a local child support agency, a case can be opened for you at any time. If you are currently paying child support, your local agency is there to help you avoid problems with non-payment.

You should ask for a modification if:

  • You are laid off or fired from your job
  • You get a new or additional job
  • Your income or the other parent’s income increases or decreases
  • Custody or visitation changes
  • Your family size changes
  • You become disabled
  • You go to jail or prison
  • You are deployed to active military service

You will need proof of:

  • Your income and expenses
  • Any child care expenses
  • Medical insurance
  • Your disability status
  • Jail or prison status
  • Unemployment benefits
  • Retirement income
  • Your current custody and visitation arrangements

After reviewing the information that you and the other parent provide, your local agency will determine whether a modification is needed, and if so, decide on a new amount of support. As a general rule, modification may be granted if the support order would change by 20% or $50, whichever is less.

If you and the other party can agree to the support amount ahead of time, you can sign a “Stipulated Agreement” that must be filed with the court – many (but not all) child support agencies can help you create this agreement. If there is no agreement, you will receive a notice to appear in court for a hearing where a judge or commissioner will decide the amount.

If the other party lives in another state, your child support agency may have to request that the other state conduct a review and request a modification.

Points to remember:

  • Either parent (or a guardian) can request a modification from their local child support agency
  • To request a modification you must have an open case (a case can be opened at any time)
  • Your child support order can go up or down based on information gathered (the order may not be what you expected)
  • There is no charge for requesting a modification
  • Even if your request is denied by your local agency, you can still go to court to have a judge or a county child support commissioner decide your order (your county’s Family Law Facilitator can help you do this)
Click on button to get online case information.
Click on button to calculate child support.
Click on button to make a payment.
Click on button to apply for services.
Click on button to access frequently asked questions.