Banner image of Alpine mountain range


Releasing a License Suspension

If your drivers or professional license has been suspended, contact the child support agency handling your case.  The agency handling the case is the ONLY entity that can release your license.  Be prepared to make a payment on the amount overdue on your case.  

Enforcement actions to improve the effectiveness of a child support order are authorized by federal law.  To stay on top of your child support payments, be sure to create a profile in Customer Connect where you can keep track of all of your support case information and email your caseworker if you are having trouble paying your support.  Make sure you contact us right away so we can help you avoid enforcement actions like the ones below.

License Suspension 

If you owe child support and you are not paying as required, your driver’s, professional, and/or recreational (fishing, hunting, etc.) licenses can be suspended.  If your payment is overdue by more than 30 days, a notification is automatically sent to several California licensing agencies, including the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The first time, the licensing agency will notify you by letter and you will have 150 days to respond or your license will be suspended. If it happens again, you will be notified by mail and have only 30 days to respond before your license gets suspended.

If you receive a notification from the DMV or any of the California licensing agencies, you should immediately contact the child support agency handling your case. They can help you avoid this action or help get your license released. Every case is different, so the requirements for the release will be determined on a case by case basis. It is a very good idea to keep your child support agency informed if you have problems making your payments. There are programs available to assist you and communication is always the best action you can take.

Passport Denial 

If your unpaid child support balance reaches $2,500, the U.S. State Department will not issue or renew your passport until your balance is paid in full. If you are notified that your passport application is denied, please contact your local child support office and they can assist you.

Bank Levies, Tax Intercepts, Etc. 

Federal and state law allow for other enforcement actions as well – intercepting tax refunds, seizing bank assets, and placing liens on homes or other property are all possibilities when child support is unpaid. If you have trouble making payments, talk to your local child support office right away – it is our goal to help all parents succeed with their child support responsibilities.

Learn more about child support liens on our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Click on button to get online case information.
Click on button to calculate child support.
Click on button to make a payment.
Click on button to apply for services.
Click on button to access frequently asked questions.