International Child Support Services

Image of Humboldt County Coast

What is the "Hague Convention"?

The Hague Convention on the International Recovery of Child Support and Other Forms of Family Maintenance was ratified by the United States Senate in 2010 and the treaty was signed in August of 2016.  The Hague Convention entered into full force in the Unites States on January 1, 2017, with 33 countries agreeing to work together to establish and enforce child support orders across international borders – since then, more countries have proceeded with the ratification process and are joining the effort. 

California has always been a leader in international partnerships to enforce child support orders. For many years, the state has accepted requests from families for child support assistance when the person owing support was a California resident. Since 2017, the U.S. has participated in an international agreement to streamline child support arrangements around the world, and collecting support from parents who move overseas is now possible in many countries.

IF YOU LIVE OVERSEAS: Fill out an online application for child support if you live in another country and the other parent lives in California.

IF YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA : Open an application either online or in your local child support office if the other parent has moved to another country.

Remember, an international child support case means that California is working with another country, not the other parent directly. See the list of countries currently working with the United States to see if a child support order can be established and/or enforced in your case.

Online case info button. Click on it to get case info.
Calculate child support button. Click on it to calculate estimate of child support.
Make a payment button. Click on it to make a payment.
Apply for services button. Click on it to apply for child support.
Frequently asked questions button. Click on it to access frequently asked questions.